There have been many Wellbeing initiatives for High School this term and students have been treated to many important speakers and sessions to help them negotiate the teenage years. I would like to share them with you. Annie Barrett, our Wellbeing Worker, and I work closely to bring a variety of expert speakers and groups to our High School students.
There are also many other events that we are involved in that are listed below!
- The Youth Liaison Police visited the students early in the term to talk about cyberbullying and how to stay safe online. Students were given the opportunity to ask questions and learn how to protect their identity and manage their online behaviour
- Drug and Alcohol talks for Years 9-12 from NCAHS Drug and Alcohol Counsellor. Kate Leith explored the perceptions of what might appear ‘normal’ in the North Coast about drug and alcohol behaviour, but is out of sync with the national picture.
- PASH – Positive Attitudes to Sexual Health conference for Year 10. This whole day conference in Lismore, with students from all schools and systems, is a perfect opportunity to explore issues around sexuality and sexual health.
- Psychologist Peter Chown talked to Years 9- 12 about use of smartphones and mental health implications. He also spoke to parents on the same day, in the evening. While we had some parents turn up for the very important evening session, it would have been great to see more parents come and hear what is delivered to students and learn about how to manage screen time. He is a wonderful speaker with a depth of knowledge on the subject and other parenting issues.
- Byron Youth Theatre performance about LGBTIA issues for Years 9-11. What an amazing presentation, with some of our Year 11 students in the performance. So great to see issues of gender and sexuality explored in a sensitive and creative way.
As well as Wellbeing initiatives, there have been a plethora of amazing experiences for all HS students this term:
- a national poetry group called Poetry in Action presented to Years 9- 12
- Study skills workshops for Years 10-12 from the Elevate Education team
- Careers Expo for Years 11 and 12
- Futsal competitions for Years 9-11
- Year 6 High School experience day in High School – Year 6 visited our High School to learn a bit about what we do.
- Cross Country House competitions and subsequent winners going to local and then state competitions!
- Netball Gala day for Primary and High School
- HSC English Advanced Excursion to Sydney to see Shakespeare’s King Richard 3rd
- Year 7 Camp
- Year 10 Camp
- Subject Forum lead by Year 11 and 12 students for Year 10 students during a guardian period.
- Senior School Information Night for Year 10 students and parents with staff presenting their subjects.
- Year 9 visit to Lifecare – Older people’s home as part of their local community work.
- Year 11 Survival Camp for PDHPE
- HSC Parent Teacher Interviews
- Winter Festival for all
- Many subject specific excursions for Year 12 students to local HSC Study Day events
So, no wonder we all need a holiday!!
Have a great term break. Our HSC students will be busy studying, spending time on holiday classes with staff and then sitting their HSC Trial Exams in the 3rd week of the term break. We wish them the best of luck!!